Sellars promoted to Technical Director by Wolves
Written by Simon Austin — January 14, 2021
SCOTT SELLARS has been promoted to Technical Director by Wolves, filling a position that has been vacant at the club since Kevin Thelwell left to join New York Red Bulls last February.
Sellars, 55, has worked Wolves since 2014 and held several different senior roles, including Academy Manager and, since last summer, General Manager of Football Technical.
The former Newcastle and Blackburn winger is a qualified Sporting Director, having graduated with a Masters in Sport Directorship from Manchester Metropolitan University in May 2019.
Wolves Executive Chairman Jeff Shi said: “Scott has been at Wolves for many years, in many different and integral roles, and has a deep understanding of the club, our values and ambitions.
“Scott’s job is to support me, and to support Nuno, together with (Club and Company Secretary) Matt Wild, whilst managing the technical aspects of our football departments, as well as retaining overall responsibility for our Academy.
“The change in title will not mean any changes to the way we work, the process of decision making, or the roles of his colleagues, as "Scott has already been working as part of the core leadership team for some time. Nuno, Matt and I all know Scott well and already have a good working relationship among us.
"I think it’s a proper reward for his long-term contribution to Wolves and I look forward to more to come from him in the future. At Wolves it’s always about team work - building a stronger management team with chemistry is one of my key jobs.”
Thelwell left Wolves after 11 years to become the first Head of Sport at the New York Red Bulls last February.
Like Selllars, he had also been Academy Manager for the club before becoming their first Sporting Director in September 2016.
CLUBS WITH TECHNICAL DIRECTOR (OR EQUIVALENT)
- Arsenal: Technical Director - Edu
- Aston Villa: Sporting Director - Johan Lange
- Brighton: Technical Director - Dan Ashworth
- Burnley: Technical Director - Mike Rigg
- Chelsea: None (Petr Cech is Technical and Performance Advisor & Marina Granovskaia is Director)
- Crystal Palace: Sporting Director - Dougie Freedman
- Everton: Director of Football - Marcel Brands
- Fulham: Director of Football Operations - Tony Khan
- Leeds United: Director of Football - Victor Orta
- Leicester City: Director of Football - Jon Rudkin
- Liverpool: Sporting Director - Michael Edwards
- Manchester City: Director of Football - Txiki Begiristain
- Manchester United: None
- Newcastle United: None
- Sheffield United: None
- Southampton: Director of Football Operations - Matt Crocker
- Tottenham: Acting Director of Football Operations - Matthew Collecott
- West Ham: None
- West Brom: Technical Director - Luke Dowling
- Wolves: Technical Director - Scott Sellars