Highlights from the TGG Big Data Conference
Written by Simon Austin — November 25, 2019
MORE than 150 delegates from countries including France, Denmark, Russia and the United States attended TGG’s first Big Data Conference at Emirates Old Trafford on Friday.
The focus of the day was on how elite clubs and national federations are using data science to enhance coaching and performance. Sixteen of the Premier League clubs were represented, with attendees including Sporting Directors, coaches, analysts and sports scientists.
In all, there were eight presentations from 10 expert speakers:
- The past, present and future of data in football - Paul Balsom (Head of Performance Innovation, Leicester City)
- How to ask good questions of data - Mladen Sormaz (Head of Football Analytics, Leicester City)
- Using data to support the coaching process - Luke Benstead (Head of Performance Analysis & Innovation, Royal Belgium Football Association)
- Quantifying quality: Making a difference across the pitch - Tom Worville (Senior Data Analyst, Opta)
- From artificial intelligence to on-pitch insights - Jens Fjellstrom (Sport Logiq & Danish Football Association)
- The England Way - Alex Thomas & Bikash Deb (Data Scientist & Data Analyst, Football Association)
- Where Players Come From - Ed Sulley & Austin Fuller (Hudl)
The host for the day was Jeff Weigh, while the event was supported by Hudl, Opta Pro, Playermaker, Sport Logiq and IMeasureU.
We will be releasing short video clips from the conference during this week, as well as a podcast featuring Mladen Sormaz, Luke Benstead and Ed Sulley and presented by Josh Schneider-Weiler.
In the mean time, here are a selection of photos from the event:
READ MORE: Meet the Speakers
READ MORE: Meet the Sponsors
READ MORE: TGG Big Data Conference sells out