Vivell appointed Chelsea Technical Director as restructure takes shape
Written by Training Ground Guru — December 21, 2022
CHRISTOPHER VIVELL has been appointed as the new Technical Director at Chelsea.
The German takes on the same title as Laurence Stewart, who joined the Blues in October from AS Monaco.
It is not yet clear what their respective responsibilities will be or how they will dovetail, although Chelsea have said that Stewart will help them to “build a world-class global sporting organisation to consistently win on the pitch” and “provide player pathways to help develop our talent."
The club have been undertaking a restructure behind the scenes following the takeover by Todd Boehly and Behdad Eghbali in May.
Director Marina Granovskaia and Technical and Performance Director Petr Cech stepped down in June, while Head of International Scouts Scott McLachlan departed in September.
Into the breach have come Vivell and Stewart, with Joe Shields joining from Southampton as Co-Director of Recruitment and Talent, and Paul Winstanley from Brighton as Director of Global Talent and Transfers.
Vivell was Technical Director at RB Leipzig for two years before exiting in October. He was responsible for recruitment and scouting across all age groups with the German club, as well as co-ordinating the overall strategy for squad building and recruitment among Red Bull’s wider football group.
Prior to this he spent five years with Leipzig’s sister club, RB Salzburg, as Head of Scouting and Recruitment. He has also been a first-team scout and video analyst at Hoffenheim.
Vivell said: “Chelsea are building the most exciting project in global football and I’m extremely proud to be joining the club. There is so much potential for the club to continue to succeed, develop and grow.
“Under the new ownership, Graham Potter and the broader sporting team, there is a clear and sustainable philosophy underpinned by performance analysis, data and innovation, and I am looking forward to playing a part in that.”
Chairman Boehly and co-controlling owner Eghbali added: “We are delighted that Christopher is taking up this important leadership role at the club. His work in Germany and Austria speaks for itself. We are confident he will continue on his impressive trajectory here at Chelsea.
“He will provide important support to Graham and the ownership group and play a vital part in advancing our overall vision for the club.”
PREMIER LEAGUE CLUBS WITH SPORTING DIRECTOR (OR EQUIVALENT)
- Arsenal: Sporting Director - Edu
- Aston Villa: Sporting Director - Johan Lange
- Bournemouth: Technical Director - Richard Hughes; Assistant Technical Director - Simon Francis
- Brentford: Director of Football - Phil Giles
- Brighton: Technical Director - David Weir; Assistant Technical Director: Mick Cave
- Chelsea: Technical Directors - Laurence Stewart/ Christopher Vivell
- Crystal Palace: Sporting Director - Dougie Freedman
- Everton: Director of Football - Kevin Thelwell
- Fulham: Director of Football Operations - Tony Khan
- Leeds United: Director of Football - Victor Orta
- Leicester City: Director of Football - Jon Rudkin
- Liverpool: Sporting Director - Julian Ward
- Manchester City: Director of Football - Txiki Begiristain
- Manchester United: Football Director- John Murtough, Assistant Football Director - Andy O’Boyle
- Newcastle United: Sporting Director - Dan Ashworth
- Nottingham Forest: Sporting Director of Football - Filippo Giraldi
- Southampton: Director of Football Operations - Matt Crocker
- Tottenham: Managing Director, Football - Fabio Paratici
- West Ham: Sporting Director - Mark Noble
- Wolves: Sporting Director - Matt Hobbs