TGG Live: SQL Masterclass
Written by Training Ground Guru — September 15, 2022
Our SQL for Data Analysis Masterclass will provide an introduction to accessing and manipulating datasets for football and player performance.
Data is valuable and SQL (Structured Query Language) makes navigating it a lot easier. SQL (often pronounced sequel) is a programming language that communicates with databases and it is essential for anyone looking to get away from clunky Excel-based reporting and fully utilise Big Data.
Whether your data is stored in a local database, an SQL server, or in the cloud, this language will help you to store, retrieve, manage and manipulate data.
The course will provide a working knowledge of this highly-productive language within a football context. SQL isn’t just for power users of data such as Data Scientists and Data Analysts, it's for anyone looking to leverage their data to find the answers they need.
This can include coaches, recruitment analysts, performance analysts, sports scientists, Heads of Recruitment and more. For £30 you will get:
Video masterclass delivered by Edd Webster. During two-and-a-half hours (two one-hour sections with a 30-minute break in between), Edd will take you through the application of data analysis with SQL. This is a follow-along session and you will be able to ask Edd questions as we go.
This Masterclass includes:
- Introduction to the basics of SQL/ explanation of what databases are.
- Key concepts.
- How to create a new database and tables of player performance data.
- Techniques to manipulate data into the form you need by retrieving records in the tables. This includes: how to select records, filter for specific conditions, rename fields, join separate datasets based on a unique identifier, order data and group and aggregate based on certain conditions.
- More advanced data management commands, including how to modify an existing database and table, how to delete an entire table or view of a table, and how to insert, modify and delete certain records.
In advance of this session you will receive:
- Installation instructions.
- Data (csv): Two real match datasets from our friends at Wyscout - a play-by-play dataset of industry standard event data and an aggregated summary of player stats for the season.
- Code Notes (PDF): This is the code we will use during the session, which can be easily reviewed afterwards in a concise, clear document consolidating the topics discussed.
- Further learning materials: Details of both free and paid tutorials and courses, practice questions and recommended next steps.
- Attendees will receive a 14-day recording of the session.
- Price is inclusive of VAT and Eventbrite fees.
- You will need to pre-install of MySQL Server and Workbench before the event. You can do that here: MySQL Server Community and MySQL Workbench Community.
- Minimum Hardware Requirements = CPU 64bit x86 Multi Core 64bit x86; RAM 4 GB 8 GB or higher; Display 1024×768 1920×1200 or higher.
Edd Webster (pictured) is a Data Scientist with the LEGO Group and has five years of professional experience in data analysis. Before LEGO, he worked with West Ham and City Football Group, where he helped the two clubs to leverage their commercial data through analysis.
Edd says: "The SQL Masterclass is aimed at anyone looking to improve what they do in their current role, or anyone looking for a new role that is more data-oriented.
"Whether you’re a coach, recruitment analyst, sport scientist, performance analyst or even a Head of Recruitment, you will find these skills - setting up databases and manipulating the data within them - incredibly useful.
"Instead of having to ask the data professional in your organisation to retrieve data for you, you will be able to go straight into a database and start playing around with the data yourself and getting the insights that you need."