Southampton restructure backroom team ahead of new season
Written by Simon Austin — July 1, 2019
SOUTHAMPTON have made a number of changes to their coaching and performance teams ahead of Ralph Hasenhüttl’s first full season in charge of the club.
The changes were led by Hasenhüttl and Director of Football Operations Ross Wilson and you can see the full staff profiles HERE.
- Craig Fleming’s role as assistant has been made permanent. The former Norwich defender stepped up from the Academy after Hasenhüttl’s arrival last December.
- Kelvin Davis will continue as assistant, but will pay particular attention to developing the pathway for the best Academy players into the first team.
- Dave Watson has stepped up from goalkeeper coach to become assistant.
- Andrew Sparkes has been hired from South African side Orlando Pirates as goalkeeper coach.
- Sports scientist Bill Styles will take on additional on-pitch duties with the first team.
- Matthew Banks has been promoted from the Academy to become first team strength and conditioning coach.
- Dr Inigo Sarriegui has replaced Dr Tham Wedatilake as first team doctor.
There have also been several changes at Academy level:
- Matt Hale has been promoted to Academy Director and will oversee the development of all age groups from Under-8s to U23s.
- Edd Vahid, the Head of Academy Player Development, has been promoted to Academy Manager in place of Hale.
- The club is also in the process of recruiting a Head of Academy Player Development who will report into Hale.
- Chris Welman has been promoted to the role of Head of Academy Recruitment, replacing Terry Burton, who will remain a part of the Academy scouting team.
The changes followed a reorganisation of the club’s board last week. Majority shareholder Jisheng Gao became Chairman, Katharina Liebherr re-joined the board and Martin Semmens was appointed CEO to lead the club on a day-to-day basis.
Nelly Gao and Semmens also became board members and Vice-Chairs.