Newcastle hire Norwich Senior Analyst as recruitment revamp continues
Written by Simon Austin — April 24, 2023
NEWCASTLE UNITED have appointed Norwich City’s Senior First Team Performance Analyst Josh Appleyard as a Positional Analyst as they continue to upgrade their scouting and recruitment department.
As TGG reported in January, the Magpies have moved to the position-specific model that Sporting Director Dan Ashworth implemented at Brighton. This means staff scout positions rather than being allocated to a certain region, which is the traditional model.
Newcastle have advertised for several Positional Analysts, who will provide video analysis and “occasional live game analysis” for potential target players “focusing on specific positions.”
Appleyard will look at both emerging talent (typically in the 16-21 age bracket) and potential first-team players. He will work closely with the data team, Lead Video Analyst and Head of Technical Scouting Andy Howe (nephew of manager Eddie Howe) to “produce daily reports and evidence-based clips in line with the recruitment strategy.”
The Positional Analysts will report into the Lead Video Analyst - a new position which Newcastle are also recruiting for - and, as a team, they will “analyse prospective target players through a variety of games at varying levels around the globe.”
In recent months Newcastle have hired a number of senior staff from leading clubs as Ashworth and Howe ramp up their scouting and recruitment operation:
- Edward Black joined from Arsenal (where he was Northern England and Scotland Emerging Talent Scout) to become Lead Academy Scout U9s to U14s.
- Paul Mclaren joined from Manchester City (where he was Head Regional Scout) to become Head of National Youth Scouting (13s to 18s).
- Paul Midgley joined from Manchester City (where he was Northern UK Youth Scouting Manager) to become Head of Youth Recruitment.
- Delroy Ebanks joining from West Ham (where he is Head of Youth Recruitment) to become Academy Lead Scout for the South of England.
- Paul Baker, who has been with the club since 2016, becomes Academy Lead Scout for the North.
Appleyard joined Norwich in January 2022 from Hull City, where he had worked for the previous five-and-a-half years, as First Team Opposition Analyst.
Seven months later he was promoted to Senior First Team Performance Analyst. The Canaries recently advertised for a replacement for Appleyard on TGG.