Head Physio Laurent leaves Chelsea after 17 years
Written by Training Ground Guru — November 20, 2022
CHELSEA Head Physio Thierry Laurent has left the club after 17 years.
Laurent joined the Blues as a physio in 2005 after 15 years working at the French national football centre at Clairefontaine. The Frenchman was promoted to Head Physio under Jose Mourinho in August 2014.
Posting on LinkedIn, he said: “After 17 years at Chelsea Football Club as Head Physiotherapist, my experience recently came to an end. It has been an honour and a real privilege to work with those top professional and talented players, and I loved every day at Cobham.
“Thank you to all the medical staff at CFC for the hard work and their flexibility to meet the demand, adapt to a new philosophy and made this department part of the top five in Europe for the last 10 years.
“In medical or in football, only one thing is important - the results! So good luck to keep this availability for training and games at this level! I wish the club all the best for the future and I look forward to the next chapter in my career.”
Meanwhile, Medical Director Paco Biosca has also departed after more than 11 years. The Catalan joined in July 2011 from Ukrainian side Shakhtar Donetsk. Prior to this he had worked as a specialist doctor in orthopaedic surgery at Arnau Vilanova Hospital in Lleida, Spain.
Steve Hughes is currently Chelsea's Head Physio, while Dimitrios Kalogiannidis is Interim Head of Medical.
There have been major changes at the club since Todd Boehly and Behdad Eghbali took over in May.
Graham Potter has replaced Thomas Tuchel as Head Coach and brought five staff with him; Laurence Stewart has arrived from AS Monaco as Technical Director; Paul Winstanley has even appointed Director of Global Talent and Transfers; Joe Shields has come in as Co-Director of Recruitment and Talent; and Neil Bath has been promoted to Director of Football Development and Operations.
CHANGES SINCE BOEHLY/ EGHBALI TAKEOVER
- Thomas Tuchel (Head Coach)
- Arno Michels (assistant)
- Zsolt Low (assistant)
- Benjamin Weber (video analyst)
- Scott McLachlan (Head of International Scouts)
- Petr Cech (Technical and Performance Advisor)
- Marina Granovskaia (Director)
- Thierry Laurent (Head Physio)
- Paco Biosca (Medical Director)
- Graham Potter (Head Coach)
- Billy Reid (assistant)
- Bjorn Hamberg (first-team coach)
- Bruno (first-team coach)
- Ben Roberts (goalkeeping coach)
- Kyle Macaulay (Assistant Head of Recruitment)
- Laurence Stewart (Technical Director)
- Paul Winstanley (Director of Global Talent and Transfers)
- Joe Shields (Co-Director of Recruitment and Talent)