Emery brings six staff to Villa with more to come
Written by Training Ground Guru — November 4, 2022
ASTON VILLA have named the six staff who have come to the club with new Head Coach Unai Emery, with “further announcements to be made in due course.”
- Pako Ayestaran (Assistant): Started out as a fitness coach before becoming Rafa Benitez’s assistant at a number of clubs, including Valencia and Liverpool. Left in acrimonious circumstances in 2007 to become a manager in his own right, and has led teams in Spain, Israel, Mexico and Portugal. Now back to being a number two.
- Pablo Villanueva (First-Team Coach): Long-time assistant of Emery’s, having worked with him at Sevilla, PSG, Arsenal and Villarreal.
- Francisco Javier Garcia (Goalkeeping Coach): Also worked for Emery at Sevilla, PSG, Arsenal and Villarreal.
- Antonio Rodríguez Saravia (Individual Performance Coach): Came through the youth ranks at Barcelona before forging a pro career at other clubs in Spain. Was an assistant and manager before becoming Development Coach for Emery at Villarreal.
- Victor Manas (Data/ Video Analyst): Described as Emery’s “second pair of eyes” and has worked with him at Almeria, Sevilla, PSG, Arsenal and Villarreal. Last year TGG interviewed Manas about his work.
- Moises de Hoyo (Strength and Conditioning Coach): Worked for Watford for four months last year, but left because his family had remained in Spain. Was reunited with Emery at Villarreal, having worked with him at Sevilla. Has also been a fitness coach at Deportivo La Coruna and Levante.
Meanwhile, Goalkeeping Coach Neil Cutler left the club earlier this week after four years’ service. Aaron Danks, who took interim charge of the side after Steven Gerrard was sacked, is weighing up a new role with the club, although he will not be part of the first-team set-up.
Austin MacPhee will remain as set-piece coach.
Emery’s first match in charge of Villa will be at home against Manchester United on Sunday.