The Lead Performance Chef is a key role within the club’s performance department and is responsible for the provision of food and beverages for our players (Men’s First Team, Women’s First Team, both B Team & U18s squads, and selected academy players) and staff based at our training ground. The role holder must demonstrate a sound understanding of sports nutrition and how diet can influence players’ performance goals.
An important aspect of the role involves working closely with other performance department staff (e.g., nutritionist & sport scientists) to assess players’ dietary needs, educate them about how they can maximise their health and performance through their diet, and develop creative menus that support these goals.
We envision the typical working pattern associated with this role will predominantly include mornings and afternoons (~06:30-15:00) Monday to Friday and every other Saturday or Sunday to accompany our Men’s First team to away games.
We are looking for an experienced candidate who is highly motivated and passionate about working with and fuelling professional footballers. In addition, we are seeking someone who can develop good working relationships with a variety of groups including fellow chefs, players, and other staff. The successful candidate will be joining a team of forward thinking and ambitious staff who are dedicated to creating an inclusive and supportive working environment.
- Prepare and produce nutritious and appealing food and beverage options (primarily breakfast, lunch, and post-training grab-and-go snacks), including operation of a live-cooking station on occasion, for our players and staff based at the training ground.
- Develop an understanding of individual dietary requirements for certain players and cater to these e.g., allergies, religious beliefs, individual preferences/goals.
- Tailor menus in line with daily training demands and in conjunction with other performance staff implement nutritional periodisation where appropriate.
- Work closely with our Executive Chef to ensure excellent food hygiene and preparation standards are established and adhered to as well as follow appropriate health and safety protocols.
- Work collaboratively with all members of staff ranging from performance to operational and including coaches. You will interact with a wide range of stakeholders so you must have an approachable demeanour and a willingness/passion to ultimately help facilitate the team’s on-pitch performance.
- On occasion, travel with the men’s first team squad to help with catering provision during away trips e.g., when travelling for European competition. This will involve liaising with peers working in relevant hotels in foreign countries and communicating our needs in advance, in addition to contributing to the eventual food provision itself.
- Maintain up to date UKAD Clean Sport Advisor qualification.
- Line-manage all kitchen personnel including coordinating their working hours and facilitating their professional development.
- Perform regular stocktakes and work closely with our Executive Chef to manage ordering of raw materials whilst working within the parameters of a pre-agreed annual budget.
- Any other reasonable activities requested.
- Level 3 Diploma in Advanced Professional Cookery or equivalent
- Food hygiene/ safety qualification
- Sports nutrition qualification e.g., SENr accreditation, IOC diploma in Sports Nutrition (Desirable)
- UKAD Clean Sport Advisor qualification (Desirable)
- Previous experience of leading the catering provision for athletes within a professional sport environment, preferably football, including the line-management of other chefs is essential.
- Previous experience of working within a multidisciplinary team of specialists from disciplines including nutrition/dietetics, sport science, medicine, physiotherapy, and psychology.
- Commitment to professional development.
- Conscientious and committed to attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills in the written and spoken word.
- Excellent information technology skills.
- Critical thinking and analytical mind set.
- Strong character able to operate within a high-pressure working environment and put forward their point of view.
- Honesty and openness and an approachable demeanor.
HOW TO APPLY
If you meet the job role criteria and would like to apply, please send a Covering letter and CV to the HR Department at Recruitment@homplc.co.uk. Candidates must be able to evidence Legal Right to Work in the UK.
HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN FOOTBALL CLUB IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES EMPLOYER AND FULLY COMMITTED TO THE SAFEGUARDING AND WELFARE OF VULNERABLE GROUPS. HEART OF MIDLOTHIAN IS A LIVING WAGE ACCREDITED COMPANY.