Tuchel laments loss of Cech at Chelsea
Written by Simon Austin — September 4, 2022
CHELSEA are one of only two Premier League clubs without a Sporting Director (or equivalent) and manager Thomas Tuchel admits he has keenly felt the absence of Petr Cech since June.
The former Blues keeper stepped down in June after three years as Technical and Performance Advisor following the takeover by Todd Boehly. He performed many of the functions of a traditional Sporting Director and was influential in recruitment, the Academy and first-team support services.
In his absence, Tuchel was heavily involved in recruitment during the recently-closed summer transfer window, with Chelsea signing a total of 13 players.
After the exits of both Cech and Director Marina Granovskaia in June, Boehly announced he was to become the club's Interim Sporting Director for the duration of the summer transfer window, which closed on Thursday.
Chelsea are now on the look-out for a permanent appointment, although Tuchel, speaking after Chelsea's 2-1 win over West Ham on Saturday, said he was not part of that process.
"I'm not involved in that, I have to say," the German said. "I had the feeling for one-and-a-half days, I shifted back to 100% being a coach, which I enjoy a lot and where my full energy will go from now on. We need that energy going into the team. I am so, so happy.
“It's a very complex situation with Sporting Directors and which role they have. They are very different in different countries and clubs.
"It's no secret that I loved to work with Petr. The communication and having this kind of legend at Cobham, who took care of not only our building but the Academy and the culture of the club, was a pure pleasure for me.
“It's a big change not to have him, and we're still adapting. I am not actively involved in the search or building of a new structure. I'm not so sure it is my job."
Below is a full list of the Premier League clubs with a Sporting Director or equivalent. As you can see, only Chelsea and West Ham do not currently have one.
Premier League clubs with Sporting Director (or equivalent)
- Arsenal: Technical Director - Edu
- Aston Villa: Sporting Director - Johan Lange
- Bournemouth: Technical Director - Richard Hughes; Assistant Technical Director - Simon Francis
- Brentford: Director of Football - Phil Giles
- Brighton: Technical Director - David Weir
- Chelsea: NONE
- Crystal Palace: Sporting Director - Dougie Freedman
- Everton: Director of Football - Kevin Thelwell
- Fulham: Tony Khan - Director of Football Operations
- Leeds United: Director of Football - Victor Orta
- Leicester City: Director of Football - Jon Rudkin
- Liverpool: Sporting Director - Julian Ward
- Manchester City: Director of Football - Txiki Begiristain
- Manchester United: Football Director- John Murtough, Assistant Football Director - Andy O’Boyle
- Newcastle United: Sporting Director - Dan Ashworth
- Nottingham Forest: Director of Football - Kyriakos Dourekas
- Southampton: Director of Football Operations - Matt Crocker
- Tottenham: Managing Director, Football - Fabio Paratici
- West Ham: NONE
- Wolves: Technical Director - Scott Sellars