Scott promoted to Sporting Director by Watford
Written by Simon Austin — November 19, 2018
ANDY SCOTT has been promoted to Sporting Director by Watford.
The 46-year-old had been UK Football Recruitment Director since joining the Hornets from Brentford in November 2017. Italian Filippo Giraldi will remain as Technical Director, a role he has held since 2016.
When contacted by TGG, Watford were unable to clarify Scott's role, or the division of duties and responsibilities between himself and Giraldi. Usually, a Sporting Director would oversee the Academy, medical and sport science, and recruitment, while also supporting the first-team manager.
Scott's own background is in recruitment, although this is also an area in which Giraldi has led during his time at Vicarage Road.
The appointment means there are now five people with the title of Sporting Director in the Premier League - Dougie Freedman (Crystal Palace), Olaf Rebbe (Huddersfield), Michael Edwards (Liverpool) and Kevin Thelwell (Watford) being the others - although as many as 16 have roles with similar functions.
You can see them below. For all our Premier League staff profiles click HERE.
SPORTING DIRECTORS (OR SIMILAR)
- Arsenal: Raul Sanllehi (Head of Football Relations)
- Bournemouth: Richard Hughes (Technical Director)
- Brighton: Dan Ashworth (Technical Director - starts January)
- Burnley: Mike Rigg (Technical Director)
- Crystal Palace: Dougie Freedman (Sporting Director)
- Fulham: Tony Khan (Director of Football Operations)
- Everton: Marcel Brands (Director of Football)
- Huddersfield: Olaf Rebbe (Sporting Director)
- Leicester: Jon Rudkin (Director of Football)
- Liverpool: Michael Edwards: (Sporting Director)
- Manchester City: Txiki Begiristain (Director of Football)
- Southampton: Ross Wilson (Director of Football Operations)
- Tottenham: Rebecca Caplehorn (Director of Football Operations)
- Watford: Andy Scott (Sporting Director)
- West Ham: Mario Husillos (Director of Football)
- Wolves: Kevin Thelwell (Sporting Director)