Newcastle hire Leicester's Burrows as Academy revamp takes shape
Written by Simon Austin — May 23, 2023
NEWCASTLE UNITED have hired Claire Burrows from Leicester City as their Academy recruitment revamp takes shape.
Technical Director Dan Ashworth has made improving the club’s Academy productivity a key focus of his first year with the Magpies.
Recruitment is a major part of this and several new roles have been created within that department, with staff hired from rival clubs. Heading these is Paul Midgley, who was brought in from Manchester City in December to become Newcastle's Head of Youth Recruitment.
Burrows has now been appointed Recruitment Operations Manager after three-and-a-half years as Leicester City's Academy Recruitment Operations Manager.
Writing on Twitter, Burrows said: “So excited to announce that I will be joining Newcastle United as Recruitment Operations Manager. Great club, great city and amazing passionate people. What a time to be joining - the aspiration and ambition of the club is only going up.”
As Recruitment Operations Manager, she will “provide a seamless flow of information between Academy and Recruitment staff” and “co-ordinate and assist local and UK recruitment teams.”
Newcastle placed 27th in TGG’s latest Academy Productivity Rankings, for the 2021/22 season. The club are currently advertising on TGG for an Assistant Football Secretary.
NEWCASTLE UNITED ACADEMY RECRUITMENT APPOINTMENTS
- Paul Midgley (from Manchester City): Head of Youth Recruitment.
- Claire Burrows (Leicester City): Recruitment Operations Manager.
- Edward Black (Arsenal): Lead Academy Scout U9s to U14s.
- Paul Mclaren (Manchester City): Head of National Youth Scouting 13s to 18s.
- Delroy Ebanks (West Ham): Academy Lead Scout for the South of England.
- Paul Baker (internal promotion) Academy Lead Scout for the North.