Manchester United revamp Academy scouting recruitment
Written by Training Ground Guru — September 28, 2023
MANCHESTER UNITED have made a number of changes to their Academy scouting and recruitment department as they beef up their UK operations following Brexit.
There have been a number of departures from the department, including Lead Academy Scout Ronnie Cusick, who had worked for United since January 2017, and Dave Bailey, who had been with them since July 2017 and focused on recruitment in the North West.
Bailey has now joined Blackpool - where he started his career - as their Head of Academy Recruitment.
Luke Fedorenko, who took over as Head of Academy Recruitment in August, has now made an internal announcement about a number of appointments within United's Academy scouting and recruitment department:
- Ben McFarland takes on a new role as Academy Technical Scout, managing all video content and assisting in scouting players aged 13 to 16. He will also contribute to the 17 to 20 age groups. McFarland has been a Scouting and Recruitment Analyst at United for the last seven years.
- Connor Hunter, who was Assistant Head of Local Recruitment, assumes the role of Lead 13 to 16 National Scout and will work closely with Jamahl Jarrett, who will serve as a Phase Scout managing the South region.
- Stephen Ajewole becomes 17 to 20 Phase Scout, having previously been Lead Phase Scout for South.
- Stephen Tierney transitions into the role of Lead 9 to 14 Scout, where he will manage all 9 to 14 recruitment, incoming trial players and Emerging Talent events. He was previously Assistant Lead Phase Scout for the 9s to 11s.
- United expect to appoint a Head of Local Recruitment (Fedorenko’s previous role) this week. They are also in the process of recruiting a Lead 17-20 Scout and Phase Scout 17-20.