Leeds United to appoint first nutritionist
Written by Simon Austin — November 9, 2017
LEEDS UNITED are looking for their first full-time nutritionist as they continue to beef up their backroom team under new owner Andrea Radrizzani.
The new role might not sound significant, but several Premier League sides - including Manchester United - do not have a full-time nutritionist on their staff. It is also a far cry from the previous regime, when former owner Massimo Cellino even cooked a pre-match meal before an evening kick-off against Bournemouth in January 2015.
Since Radrizzani completed his buyout of the club in May this year, he has bolstered the backroom staff significantly.
Victor Orta was appointed Director of Football, Dan Birdsall as a rehab and injury prevention specialist, Gaby Ruiz as Head of European Recruitment and most recently Gianni Vio as a set piece specialist.
Manager Thomas Christiansen also brought his own team of assistants and coaches when he was appointed in June. The staff under Cellino was severely depleted, with former manager Neil Redfearn not even having an assistant for the end of the 2014/15 season.
Leeds are looking for an "experienced” nutritionist to work with their first team and professional development phase group (16 to 23).
The responsibilities will be:
- Educate players and support staff on how dietary strategies can enhance performance, recovery and health.
- Undertake regular body composition assessment to determine each player’s ideal physique characteristics.
- Comprehensive dietary analysis to determine each player’s nutritional status.
- Provide bespoke nutritional interventions to support performance, training and rehabilitation.
- Develop a performance nutrition strategy for the club.
- Provide detailed catering guides for the training ground and hotels to ensure that high quality nutrition is being provided consistently to ensure that optimum performance, health and recovery can be achieved.
- Quality-assure sports nutrition supplementation that is being provided to the players in order to reduce the risk of the inadvertent use of banned substances.
- Forge effective working relationships with the catering staff, sports science and medicine department is a key determinant of success.
Applications have to be in by November 14th.