Coronavirus: Club-by-club update
Written by Training Ground Guru — April 13, 2020
PROFESSIONAL football in Britain has been suspended until at least the start of June as a result of the spread of coronavirus.
That includes all games in the Premier League, EFL, FA Women's Super League and Women's Championship, with any resumption likely to be behind closed doors. Below is a guide to what's happening at Premier League and Football League clubs in response to the crisis.
Five Premier League clubs - Bournemouth, Liverpool, Newcastle, Norwich and Tottenham - had announced that they were using the government's Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, under which the state pays 80% of an employee's wages up to a maximum of £2,500 a month.
However, following an outcry from supporters, Bournemouth, Liverpool and Tottenham all reversed their decisions to use the scheme.
ARSENAL announced that their first-team squad, Head Coach Mikel Arteta and "core coaching staff" had agreed a 12.5% pay cut on April 20th. If the team meets "specific targets in the season ahead" then the club will "repay agreed amounts". Three players have reportedly declined the pay cut.
Players will be returning to London Colney for individual training from Monday April 27th.
ASTON VILLA first-team players, coaches and senior management will defer 25% of their salaries for four months. Non-playing staff will be retained and paid in full during the lockdown and the club will not make use of the government furlough scheme.
BOURNEMOUTH had announced that more than 50 staff had been placed on the Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme, with the club topping their salaries up to 100%. However, following criticism from fans, the club reversed the decision (April 14th).
Manager Eddie Howe, assistant Jason Tindall, Technical Director Richard Hughes and Chief Executive Neill Blake have agreed "significant" pay cuts for the "foreseeable future".
BRIGHTON Chief Executive Paul Barber, Technical Director Dan Ashworth and Head Coach Graham Potter have taken a "significant" voluntary pay cut for the next three months.
"It is entirely appropriate that we play a very small part in reducing the financial burden," Barber said.
LIVERPOOL reversed their decision to furlough about 200 non-playing staff (April 7th). Chief executive Peter Moore said: "We believe we came to the wrong conclusion last week... and are truly sorry for that."
The club had announced (April 4th) that it had placed "some staff who are impacted by the Premier League suspension" on furlough. It will now "find alternative means", Moore said.
MANCHESTER CITY became the first Premier League side to confirm they would not be furloughing staff (April 5th).
"Following a decision by the chairman and board last week, Manchester City will not be utilising the UK Government's Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme," the club said.
"We remain determined to protect our people, their jobs and our business."
Meanwhile, manager Pep Guardiola's mother, Dolors Sala Carrio, has died at the age of 82 in Barcelona after contracting coronavirus (April 6th).
MANCHESTER UNITED chief executive Ed Woodward has emailed the club's full-time staff, who number about 900, to tell them the club will not be using the government's Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme (April 6th)
Goodwill payments for non-matchday casual workers (about 950 people) have been extended to June 1st.
NORWICH CITY revealed (March 31st) that they were beginning the process of furloughing staff who were unable to work.
They said they would top up the money received from the scheme to ensure all furloughed staff receive their usual salary in full.
SHEFFIELD UNITED have put “some employees who are unable to perform their regular day-to-day duties” on furlough - but are not using the government’s job retention scheme and will continue to pay them in full.
Those furloughed have been "given the green light to sign up for the NHS volunteering scheme or similar initiatives".
They are “predominantly casual employees but also a small number of permanent staff”. The Blades said they would assess whether to participate in the government scheme when “the full financial impact of the situation can be more accurately quantified”.
SOUTHAMPTON announced (April 9th) that their board, manager, first-team coaches and first-team players had agreed to defer part of their salaries for April/ May/ June.
The club also said it would not be using the Government's Coronavirus Job Retention Scheme before the end of June - and that all staff not deferring part of their salaries would be paid in full until then.
"The criticism the club has received has been felt all the more keenly because of our track record of good works and our huge sense of responsibility to care for those that rely on us, particularly locally," said chairman Daniel Levy.
Meanwhile, the club is re-opening its training ground, with one player per pitch for "individual running sessions".
WEST HAM players have agreed (April 11th) to defer part of their wages to ensure that non-playing staff can continue to receive their salaries in full.
Manager David Moyes, vice chairman Karren Brady and finance director Andy Mollett are taking a 30% pay cut, while owners David Gold and David Sullivan are deferring interest payments on shareholder loans.
BLACKBURN ROVERS' first-team squad, executives and senior football management have all agreed to defer between a third and a half of their monthly salaries between April 1st and June 30th.
A number of staff have been placed on the government's furlough scheme, with the club topping their wages up to 100% for April and May.
DERBY COUNTY first-team players, manager Phillip Cocu and his coaching team, plus chief executive Stephen Pearce and his staff have agreed “significant” wage deferrals.
In addition, 120 non-playing staff have been placed on the government's furlough scheme, as have the U23 squad. The club is not topping up the government money.
HUDDERSFIELD'S Board of Directors & Senior Management have volunteered to take a salary deferral for the next two months at least.
This includes manager Danny Cowley and his brother and assistant Nicky Cowley, who have both taken significant deferrals.
The rest of the staff at the club, including those who are part-time, will receive full pay.
LUTON TOWN have sacked Head Coach Graeme Jones and three of his assistants in “an early move to restructure” because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Assistant manager Gary Brabin, first-team coach Inigo Idiakez and technical goalkeeping coach Imanol Etxeberria have also had their contracts terminated with immediate effect. Mick Harford has been appointed as a “relationship manager” between the board, staff and the playing squad while continuing in his role of recruitment officer.
READING manager Mark Bowen, assistant Eddie Niedzwiecki and a number of senior non-playing staff has agreed to defer a "substantial" part of their salaries for April, May and June.
A number of other staff, including some U23 players, have been furloughed.
WEST BROM chief executive Mark Jenkins has taken a 100% pay cut for the duration of the coronavirus lockdown.
The club has considered putting non-playing staff on furlough but "at present we have not been required to sanction this action."
If this does happen then the club has committed to ensuring that staff receive 100% of their pay.
MK DONS staff are to be placed on furlough, meaning they retain their jobs but will not be paid. They will be eligible to claim up to 80% of their wages under the government's job retention scheme.
Chairman Pete Winkelman said: "With the exception of the players, we have notified our workforce that they will be furloughed, while still receiving their full monthly pay for March."
BARNET had originally said they were making all staff redundant. Following the government's support measures, they said only six staff would be leaving.
They have called on the Premier League and EFL to extend their licence under the EPPP system and, if the money is forthcoming, will "reprieve all Academy staff and guarantee their jobs for the foreseeable future".