WATCH: Big Data 2023 Webinar
Written by Training Ground Guru — October 18, 2023
THE Big Data 2023 Webinar brings you the best in data science from football and beyond.
It is now available to watch on demand, for £40 (or equivalent), and you can watch eight presentations from leading practitioners:
- Giles Lindsay: (Head of Analytics and Technology, Rajasthan Royals): Auction dynamics - Squad building in the IPL.
- Lee Mooney: (Managing Director, MUD Analytics): Managing decision risk in football.
- Jon Manuel: (Data Analyst, Stats Perform): Beyond formations - Using shape to identify inverted full-backs.
- Tom Goodall: (Senior Solutions Consultant, Hudl): Seize the data - Developing data-driven high-performance workflows.
- George Gallagher: (Senior Consultant, Sportsology Group): How to staff a data analytics department.
- Issa Tall: (Assistant General Manager, Columbus Crew): How Columbus Crew use analytics to sign a player.
- Sarah Rudd: (Chief Technology Officer, src ftbl): Supervised v unsupervised learning with tracking data.
- Johann Windt: (Senior Director of Analytics, Vancouver Whitecaps): Analytics as a service - Aiding decision-making across performance domains.
Giles Lindsay is Head of Analytics and Technology for the Rajasthan Royals in cricket's India Premier League. He has a track record of delivery in elite sport, having also been National Lead for Performance Analysis for England Cricket for eight years and Head of Analysis for the Leeds Rhinos rugby league team before that.
Lee Mooney is Managing Director of MUD Analytics, a company he co-founded with Vincent Kompany and Klaas Gaublomme. He was previously Director of Football Insights at City Football Group, where he led the creation and evolution of the group’s data science capabilities. His background prior to football was in industry, with Barclays and Deloitte.
Jon Manuel has worked as a Data Analyst at Stats Perform for the past three years. He transitioned into the sports data industry after completing a PhD in physics. His work has focused on the introduction of Opta’s advanced data and metrics to major broadcasters, leagues and professional clubs to enhance insight.
Tom Goodall is Senior Solutions Consultant for Hudl, the performance analysis experts. He is also Senior Tactical Analysis Coach for Iceland (men's and women's) and has worked for English clubs including Swansea City, Derby County and Forest Green Rovers.
George Gallagher is a Senior Consultant for Sportsology Group, working out of their New York office. George works with ownership groups, franchises and teams to help create competitive advantages. This includes organisational performance diagnostics, strategy development, organisational design and human development.
Issa Tall is Assistant General Manager of Columbus Crew in the MLS. Issa was a player at Strasbourg’s Academy in France, before moving into coaching and then executive roles. He has worked in Toronto FC’s Player Personnel and Scouting Department, for FIFA’s Team Services and Competition Department and for the Crew since 2019.
Sarah Rudd is a true pioneer for the use of analytics in football. From 2012 to 2021, she was Vice President of Analytics and Software Development at StatDNA and Arsenal, driving the club's use of data. Sarah is now co-founder and Chief Technology Officer for src ftbl, working with clubs in Europe and the United States. Sarah was our guest on Episode #55 of the TGG Podcast, which you can listen to HERE.
Johann Windt is Senior Director of Analytics, Insights and Research at the Vancouver Whitecaps in the MLS. He works to inform performance-related decisions across all football operations at the club. That means supporting decision-makers in the executive team, scouting and recruitment, coaching, performance, medical, Academy and player development.