Barnsley make series of promotions to first-team staff
Written by Training Ground Guru — October 12, 2021
BARNSLEY have made six new appointments to their first-team staff, with five being internal promotions.
- Thomas Fawdry (Goalkeeper Coach): Replaces Kevin Pilkington, who has left after two seasons. The 35-year-old has previously worked with Charlton, Reading and, most recently, Melbourne Victory.
- James Walsh (Sport Scientist): Was only appointed Head of Academy Sport Science and Medicine in June, having previously worked for Doncaster Rovers. Parachuted into the first-team set-up within weeks.
- Vikki Stevens (Lead Physio): Has been with the club for seven years. Joined in December 2014 as Head of Academy Sport Science and Medicine and moved to the first team in October 2017.
- Gavin Walker (Physio): Had been Head Academy Physio since October 2017.
- Nathan Kirby (Head of Performance Analysis): Promoted from first-team analyst after two years.
- Thomas Yeomans (Performance Analyst): Steps up from the Academy, where he has worked for a year.
Chief Executive Khaled El-Ahmad said: ”Soft values, such as being positive, transparent and professional are characteristics I expect from all at Oakwell and having reviewed processes and personnel, it was quickly evident that we have good people within our staff.
“I’m pleased that a number of individuals who express those qualities have been rewarded with internal promotions. Ensuring we have the right people in the right positions is essential and Barnsley has a long history of giving staff an opportunity to develop and flourish.”
The appointments follow the arrival of Head Coach Markus Schopp from Austrian side TSV Hartberg at the end of June. Previous boss Valerien Ismael had departed for West Brom and taken assistant Adam Murray, Head of Sport Science Jonny Northeast and Performance Analyst Jack Riley with him to the Midlands.
Barnsley, who appointed Matt Cook as Lead Sports Science and Performance Coach in pre-season, say there will be further appointments at their Academy in the coming weeks.
The club currently sit 22nd in the Championship, having reached the play-off semi-finals last season.