Agnew and Clemence leave Newcastle as Howe confirms backroom staff
Written by Training Ground Guru — November 18, 2021
NEWCASTLE UNITED have confirmed that Steve Agnew and Stephen Clemence have left the club following the appointment of Eddie Howe as Head Coach.
The duo arrived with Steve Bruce when he became Manager in July 2019. However, Graeme Jones is staying on as Assistant, Ben Dawson as Development Coach and Simon Smith as Goalkeeper Coach.
This means Howe’s backroom staff is as follows:
- Jason Tindall (Assistant): Howe’s assistant at Bournemouth from January 2009 to May 2020, with a short spell at Burnley in between. Managed the Cherries for eight months after Howe.
- Graeme Jones (Assistant): Lifelong Newcastle fan who joined in January 2021 from Bournemouth, where he had been first-team coach. Another who has been a manager in his own right for a short spell, at Luton Town.
- Stephen Purches (First-Team Coach): Played for Bournemouth before joining the club’s coaching set-up under Howe.
- Simon Weatherstone (First-Team Coach): First-team coach at Bournemouth from June 2014 to June 2021 under Howe.
- Ben Dawson (Development Coach): Has been with Newcastle since 2014 and took up his current role in 2020/21. Focuses on players transitioning from Academy to first team.
- Simon Smith (Goalkeeper Coach): Was a youth player for Newcastle before becoming a coach for them, first in the Academy and then with the first team. Had 11 years away, including working for teams in North America, before returning in 2015.
- Dan Hodges (Head of Sport Science): Has left Bournemouth after almost a decade’s service to join his former boss Howe at St James’ Park.