Five staff go in Norwich City Academy review
Written by Simon Austin — October 13, 2017
NORWICH CITY have completed their review of the club's Academy set-up, resulting in a total of five staff losing their jobs.
As we reported earlier this week, Head of Recruitment Gregg Broughton, Head of Coaching Phil Church and Under-23 Assistant Darren Huckerby have all gone.
So too have Academy Head of Sports Science and Medicine Ross Hollinworth and Head of Foundation Phase Coaching Ali Colman. Head Physio Stuart Wardle also departed earlier this week, although this was not linked to the Academy review.
There had been tension between Wardle and the club's coaching staff over players being sent to Germany for treatment. In total, 17 full-time staff have left the club since Stuart Webber took over as Sporting Director in April (see below).
There were more than 40 full and part-time staff in the Academy and Webber had promised to “strip back what they don’t do well” in the review, which he carried out with Academy boss Steve Weaver, with whom he also worked at Huddersfield, Wolves and Wrexham.
Staff who have left Norwich since Stuart Webber was appointed:
- Alan Irvine (Caretaker Manager)
- Frankie McAvoy (First-team Coach)
- Dean Kiely (goalkeeping coach)
- Ricky Martin (Technical Director)
- Nick Davies (Head of Sports Science)
- Stuart Wardle (Head Physio)
- Adam Hearn (Strength and Conditioning)
- Lee Darnborough (Head of Scouting)
- Tony Spearing (Head of Football Recruitment)
- Donald Barron (Head of Technical Scouting)
- Richard Money (Academy Manager)
- Ross Hollinworth (Academy Head of Sports Science)
- Gregg Broughton (Head of Academy Recruitment)
- Darren Huckerby (Under-23 Assistant)
- Phil Church (Head of Academy Coaching)
- Ali Colman (Head of Foundation Phase Coaching)